If you have gutters, then you are aware of how in the wintertime they can become troublesome. If you utilize these helpful tips, then you will find that your gutters function effectively even in the coldest months. You will no longer have to worry about them being weighed down by snow or ice, and you can rest assured that your home is not sustaining excessive damage throughout the freezing months of the year.
Preparing your gutters for winter
It is important to take the time to prepare your gutters for the winter. Each one of these steps is pertinent to ensure that your gutters do not collapse, freeze, or cause unnecessary damage to your home.
- Clear your gutters of any debris such as leaves and twigs. This will help ensure that you do not have barricades in your gutters. When the sun begins to shine on your home and causes the ice and snow to melt, these barricades prevent water from moving freely and can result in damage.
- Check your gutters before winter sets in. You need to look for cracks, and it is important to ensure that all of the joints are secure to keep your gutters from cracking under the extra strain that winter weather often presents.
- Gutter guards have been known to be very effective in regards to keeping debris from building up. This will help ensure that you no longer have to worry about blockages in your gutter system.
- If you have a problem with melting ice and snow puddling near your home, then it is helpful to extend your downspouts. This will ensure that water is routed away from your home to better protect the foundation of your home all year long.
- Trim the trees around your home to lessen the amount of debris that falls on your home and collects in your gutters.
Tips to keep your gutters from freezing
- Add a little rock salt directly into your gutters. This is the same defense that is utilized to ensure that roadways are safe for drivers during the freezing months of the year. The salt will ensure that ice has less of a chance of forming even on the coldest nights.
- Keep your roof clear of snow.
- Consider using a heated gutter cable if the situation gets too extreme. You will need to make sure that the cable zigzags versus running it in a straight line. It is wise to call on a professional if you are not familiar with the installation process.
- Gutter heat tape is known to be very helpful. However, you may need to call on a professional to ensure that the installation is done correctly.
Make sure that you use the cool months of autumn to inspect every inch of your gutters. You do not want to find yourself in a bind, or even worse, deal with gutters that have collapsed under the strain of excessive weight from debris, ice, and snow. If you inspect your gutters and repair any damage, then you can rest assured that your gutters will effectively function in the winter time.
Help from a Professional Kyle Roofing Company
If you live in Central Texas and need some help prepping your gutters for winter, then make sure you call on a company that is knowledgeable about roof repair in Kyle TX to get the job done correctly. Contact Divided Sky Roofing & Exteriors today to schedule a free inspection with our Kyle roof experts and make sure your entire roof is ready for winter weather.